Old December 23rd 08, 06:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
PocketRadio PocketRadio is offline

Default What's this? ...... No HD Radio!

On Dec 23, 12:27*pm, wrote:
On Dec 23, 12:05 pm, "Bob Campbell" wrote:

wrote in message

Must be very depressing for you this Christmas Booble Struble. I went
to a very busy Best Buy yesterday. *People everywhere. *Products and
displays flashing here and there. *Lots of technology in the air.
Sound and noise from every direction. *But….. What’s this? *NO HD
RADIO ANYWHERE. * NOTHING.

More to the point - were there ANY radios at all? * *How many AM/FM/CD
boomboxes? * How many AM/FM/SW portables? * How many MP3 players with at
least an FM tuner?

20 years ago there would have been a decent section of radios. * 40 years
ago a very large section of radios. * 60 years ago even small towns had
entire stores that sold only radios.

Now there *might* be a couple of shelves of pocket/headphone style radios,
and few boomboxes. * See a pattern here?

The point is HD radios were nowhere. *Not integrated into any digital
product, Cell phone, iPod, BoomBox, MP3 player, SatRadio, nothing.
Much to Strubles dismay. *Not even in car radios. *Don't kill yourself
just yet though Struble. *2009 could be worse!

iBiquity, do you feel *left out this Christmas?- Hide quoted text -

The car radios are going to just "HD Ready" from "HD":

"Is HD Radio going to be killed by manufacturers' desire to keep it a
premium-priced upgrade?"

"I just embarked on my twice-per-year online shopping trip to see if
it's time to upgrade my car stereo to HD. Saw a sudden shift to car
radios now being 'HD-Ready' instead of HD for a number of radios. This
appears to require the purchase and professional installation of a
separate, compatible unit. Anyone know why this appears to be a sudden
new direction and what this might mean for the future of HD radio?"

http://tinyurl.com/6rbj7y

Eduardo - do you have anything to add?