Old December 24th 08, 12:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John Smith John Smith is offline

Default Antenna for shortwave reception

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
John Smith wrote:

SNIP

Now I remember why I wrote you off as a total idiot ...

Just another ignorant cowardly retard with a gmail account posting from
a open server. What a big surprise.

However, I did think his radio was a "cheapie" with no real antenna
jack. And, since the Ant-60 comes with an alligator clip so it can
attached to the whip, it only reinforced "my guess." And, if that were
not enough to lead me astray, someone else recommended a long wire
attached to the whip (a "fix" I frequently use on radios I travel with,
although I do use a current balun to provide improved performance on
most SW freqs by taking the, generally, low impedance of the long wire
and matching it to the multi-kilo-ohm impedance of the whip ...

No problem though, since having first hand experience with the Ant-60,
and if it were mine, I would toss it in the trash, attach a ~60 ft, and
get it in the air as high as possible, sanely taking into consideration
the environment I am deploying it in. Then provide the antenna with a
suitable DC ground, 1mh choke, or so, across the jack to grnd ... again,
better, IMHO ... (I have to admit, the reel is handy on the Ant-60, I
have to wind mine up around a short length of 8" PVC pipe.) Very handy
"dangled" out the porthole of a ship ...

It would give him increased reception and eliminate any danger of any
type of voltage on the "hot" antenna ...

Regards,
JS