Old December 24th 08, 12:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon Telamon is offline

Default Antenna for shortwave reception

In article ,
John Smith wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
John Smith wrote:

SNIP

Now I remember why I wrote you off as a total idiot ...

Just another ignorant cowardly retard with a gmail account posting from
a open server. What a big surprise.

However, I did think his radio was a "cheapie" with no real antenna
jack.

Mistake one.

And, since the Ant-60 comes with an alligator clip so it can
attached to the whip, it only reinforced "my guess."

Mistake two.

And, if that were not enough to lead me astray, someone else
recommended a long wire attached to the whip

You mislead yourself - mistake three.

(a "fix" I frequently use on radios I travel with, although I do use
a current balun to provide improved performance on most SW freqs by
taking the, generally, low impedance of the long wire and matching it
to the multi-kilo-ohm impedance of the whip ...

That's all very nice but has nothing to do with your previous
contentious posts.

No problem though, since having first hand experience with the Ant-60,
and if it were mine, I would toss it in the trash, attach a ~60 ft, and
get it in the air as high as possible, sanely taking into consideration
the environment I am deploying it in. Then provide the antenna with a
suitable DC ground, 1mh choke, or so, across the jack to grnd ... again,
better, IMHO ... (I have to admit, the reel is handy on the Ant-60, I
have to wind mine up around a short length of 8" PVC pipe.) Very handy
"dangled" out the porthole of a ship ...

It would give him increased reception and eliminate any danger of any
type of voltage on the "hot" antenna ...

That's all very nice smith but you are still a cowardly anonymous
Trolling idiot. Go redeem yourself elsewhere as I'm not interested jerk.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California