Old December 24th 08, 01:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon Telamon is offline

Default Antenna for shortwave reception

In article
,
SC Dxing wrote:

PJ,

I've discovered there is no best antenna for everyone for shortwave
listening. Ignore the trolls here, start off with your wire antenna,
then experiment if you wish. I've tried a few things over the past few
weeks and for me, just running a wire along the ground about 60 feet
works best for me. I guess the only certain thing is that an antenna
that runs outside will work better than an inside antenna. If you
can't run one outside, try to put it by a window or up high in your
house/apartment. Experimenting is part of the fun, just google around,
play around, and have hours of fun on your new radio. I only in the
last few weeks have rediscovered listening to SW radio.

Again I edited the news group header.

By all means experiment with antennas. You can learn a lot this way but
what you find that "works" for you is dependent on your local noise
environment.

The antenna jack has two contacts that work with the plug barrel and
tip. The barrel is the radio ground. You can use these two contacts with
a complete antenna like a dipole or loop antenna or you can connect a
single wire antenna to the tip and the barrel to a ground rod or wire on
the ground under the single wire. If your noise environment is fairly
low then this could work well. If not then you can try other antenna
types.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California