Old December 24th 08, 11:36 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
RHF RHF is offline

Default Antenna for shortwave reception

On Dec 23, 9:46*am, PJ wrote:
Folks,

I have purchased a Sangean ATS-909 World Receiver. It is equipped with
an internal ferrite antenna för MW and LW, and a telescope antenna for
SW and FM. It also comes with a portable SW antenna (ANT-60), seven
meters long. Is this external antenna generally sufficient for SW
reception, or should I get a different antenna? If yes, is there a
solution that doesn't cost all that much money? I have a copy of the
2009 World Radio TV Handbook, and they are talking about a Wellbrook
ALA-1530+ loop antenna, and let me tell you, that one is well past my
budget, because it costs $466... I am looking for something a lot
cheaper... :-) If it is recommended to replace the ANT-60, that is.

PJ

PJ,

So your objective is to 'buy' a relatively low cost
Antenna for Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL)
to use with your Sangean ATS-909 World Receiver.

Check-Out the / Sangean ATS-909 Users Group
-aka- RadioShack DX-398 Users Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DX398/

Consider using a "Portable Wire Antenna" with your
Sangean ATS-909 AM/FM Shortwave Radio :
http://www.geocities.com/n2uhc/portablewire.html
* WebPage presented by Tom Sevart, N2UHC
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...c73c4c94625fc7
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...89c8fd6fcb38f2

First "About" the Antenna Input of the Sangean
ATS-909 AM/FM Shortwave Radio :
The Sangean ATS-909 uses a 1/8" Stereo Jack
for the External Antenna Input.
Barrel = Circuit-Board-Ground (RF Signal Ground)
Tip = Shortwave Antenna RF Signal Input
Middle-Ring = AM/MW Antenna RF Signal Input

READY-MADE - Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna
that fits into the 45 Foot Long Range is the Par
Electronics EF-SWL Antenna. [~$75US]
It come with the Matching Transformer and 45 Feet
of Flex-Weave Wire Antenna Element; and all you
need to do is Install your Ground Rod; Rig the Wire
Antenna Element; and Attach your Coax Cable.
http://www.parelectronics.com/swl_end.htm
http://www.grove-ent.com/ANT8.html
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2205.html

The Par EF-SWL is a moderate size Inverted "L"
Antenna with 'low noise' characteristics : The PAR
is the simplest Antenna for most of these 'portable'
AM/FM Shortwave Radios and lends itself to the
Inverted "L" Antenna configuration of about 45 Feet
long with a 15 Foot Vertical-Up-Leg and a 30 Foot
Horizontal-Out-Arm. With an Eight Ground Rod
at the base and a Coax Cable feed-in-line.

NOTE - Your biggest problem with using a Coax
Cable with your Shortwave Antenna is coming up
with an "Adapter" or Jumper Cable from the Coax
Connector to the Radio's 1/8" Stereo Jack.

Here is another 'low cost' SWL Antenna listed on eBay
"Super Longwire All Band SW. Antenna and 9:1 Balun"
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ180315835723
* Has 80 Feet of Antenna Wire with a 9:1 Matching
Transformer; plus 50 Feet of Coax Cable.
* Rig as much of the 80 Feet of Antenna Wire in the
Inverted "L" Configuration
* Add an 8-foot Ground Rod
* Run the Coax Cable to you Radio

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF