Old December 24th 08, 08:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
JB[_3_] JB[_3_] is offline

Default Antenna for shortwave reception

ALA-1530+ loop antenna, and let me tell you, that one is well past my
budget, because it costs $466... I am looking for something a lot
cheaper... :-) If it is recommended to replace the ANT-60, that is.

This is my favorite:
http://www.antenna.it/military/log-periodic.htm

But seriously folks, the cheapest for me was busting open a junk TV for the
deflection coils. A qrp type ham antenna tuner will certainly help. Easy
to build L type by using an AM tuning cap and hind wound coil on toilet
paper roll. Use a piece of scrap brass for a slider. Put the whole thing
on a block of wood and use clip leads to change it around for the best
signal.

The earphone jack can often be used for a ground point.