Old December 25th 08, 07:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Antenna for shortwave reception

On Dec 24, 8:54*pm, John Smith wrote:
JB wrote:
ALA-1530+ loop antenna, and let me tell you, that one is well past my
budget, because it costs $466... I am looking for something a lot
cheaper... :-) If it is recommended to replace the ANT-60, that is.

This is my favorite:
http://www.antenna.it/military/log-periodic.htm

But seriously folks, the cheapest for me was busting open a junk TV for the
deflection coils. * A qrp type ham antenna tuner will certainly help. *Easy
to build L type by using an AM tuning cap and hind wound coil on toilet
paper roll. *Use a piece of scrap brass for a slider. *Put the whole thing
on a block of wood and use clip leads to change it around for the best
signal.

The earphone jack can often be used for a ground point.

Huh, you triggered some memories. *Best antenna I ever had was when I
was very young, probably ~8-10 years old, or so. *Long-wire which ran
diagonally to property lines of my parents. *And, certainly, longer than
120 ft. *That antenna filled the bands, as I remember!

No baluns, no matching, no knowledge of what I consider now, krist, it
was most likely a very poor match to the input on the Collins,
Hallicrafters, Zeniths, Gonsets, etc. which it was hooked to. * But, ya'
know what? *Those were the best times of my life. *And, to be absolutely
truthful with you, I did hope to hear aliens--as well as military,
gov't, etc. *Some, I accomplished--but, no aliens which I am aware of
... :-(

But, I never have had that much fun in my whole life, since those times
... the rest of life has been rather easy.

I only hope youngsters can still find the same ... :-)

Regards,
JS- Hide quoted text -

When I was in my teensI had access to a 5 mile beverage antenna in the
form of abandoned telegraph lines. I used to plug in the AM radio in
my car to it and listen for AM BCB dx. I could terminate either end
and hook up to the opposite end. In the day it was also a great way to
park with my date. Yes those were great times.

Jimmie