Old December 26th 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Sangean ATS-909 Radio : One Radio : Two Antennas : AM/MW Loop &Shortwave Wire

On Dec 25, 11:02*am, bpnjensen wrote:
On Dec 23, 3:25*pm, Telamon

wrote:
In article ,
*John Smith wrote:

Don't bring the amateur antenna group into these discussions. That group
has a bunch of key clowns in it.

Yeah, they actually build antennas for all frequencies, something you
obviously do not ... ROFLOL

Most amateurs do not.
Most amateurs buy them.
Most amateurs would not know how to build them.

No amateurs operate on all frequencies idiot.

Idiot, he said connect an antenna to the whip.

No he didn't idiot. He even mentioned that the radio comes with the
ANT-60 antenna, which plugs into the antenna jack not clip onto the whip
antenna. The clip is for holding the far end of the windup part of the
antenna to something so the antenna can be held off the ground, idiot.

Ummm - to try to remain on-topic, yes the 909 has an external antenna
jack, although in my recollection it does not come with a suitable
antenna, nor does that jack connect you in a meaningful way to the MW
band if you connect it according to the instructions. *It must be done
using a 3-conductor phono plug with one pair of conductors shorted
(IIRC). *I do not have my reference for this handy, but the schematic
is available last time I knew on various web sites.

For that matter, I don't think the "clip to the whip" gives a
meaningful MW boost either - just SW/HF.

Bruce Jensen

For One and All,

Sangean ATS-909 Radio : One Radio : Two Antennas :
AM/MW Loop Antenna & Shortwave Wire Antenna

The simplest thing for most Radio Listeners that are
using the Sangean ATS-909 Radio is to use two
Antenna Set-Ups :

For Shortwave Radio Listening use an external
{Outside} Improved Random Wire Antenna that
http://www.kc7nod.20m.com/improved_rw.htm
is 'connected' via the Radio's 1/8" Stereo External
Antenna Input wired so that the :
1 - TIP is for the Shortwave {RF} Antenna Signal
2 - REAR BARREL is for the Ground Wire
* Leaving the Center-Ring un-used.
http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/images/antright.gif
http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/longwire.html

For AM/MW/BCB Radio Listening place the Radio
on a Lazy Susan along with an AM/MW Loop Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/mwant/4316.html
1 - TUNE Both for the best AM/MW Reception.
2 - ROTATE Both as a single unit for the best AM/MW Reception
* UNPLUG the 1/8" Stereo External Shortwave
Antenna Input when Listing to AM/MW Radio.
http://www.radiointel.com/review-2loop.htm
http://www.radiointel.com/review-degentg39.htm
http://www.kaitousa.com/AN200.htm

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF