Old December 27th 08, 02:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brenda Ann Brenda Ann is offline

Default Eduardo - we may witness the end of terrestrial radio (temp. 10db approved)

wrote in message
My new Yamaha 3900 A/V receiver sounds fantastic on FM HD radio
stations.
NO INTERFERENCE WHATSOEVER!

But my Yamaha also has Internet Radio which is competing with analog
AM and analog FM for my ears.
I'm affraid that analog is loosing out.

The interference issue for IBOC FM is not so much with the host station's
analog (or IBOC) signals, it is with interference to adjacent channels (and
in some cases second adjacent). This is with the current scheme of -20dB
IBOC sidebands. It's considered by a large number of engineers (and so
station owners/groups) that a 10dB boost in IBOC sideband output will cause
significant interference to the host station's analog signal, and much worse
interference to adjacent stations. This is less of a problem on FM, but
still a problem. AM IBOC, even at the -20dB power level, is already a large
problem with interference to adjacent channels at night, and several
stations have opted not to use it at all at night, some have shut it off
entirely.