Old December 27th 08, 06:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
BCBlazysusan BCBlazysusan is offline

Default Antenna for shortwave reception

On Dec 23, 8:06*pm, SC Dxing wrote:
PJ,

I've discovered there is no best antenna for everyone for shortwave
listening. Ignore the trolls here, start off with your wire antenna,
then experiment if you wish. I've tried a few things over the past few
weeks and for me, just running a wire along the ground about 60 feet
works best for me. I guess the only certain thing is that an antenna
that runs outside will work better than an inside antenna. If you
can't run one outside, try to put it by a window or up high in your
house/apartment. Experimenting is part of the fun, just google around,
play around, and have hours of fun on your new radio. I only in the
last few weeks have rediscovered listening to SW radio.

Happy listening.

SC,
Did you inductively couple the antenna to your whip? If you didn't you
will notice a marked improvement if you do it that way. Just in case
you don't know (I think I posted this already) grab you some wire (I
use 11 or 12 gauge) and tightly wrap five-seven turns around your whip
and cut the rest off. Pull about an inch of the plastic off and clip
onto that. At one time I was doing the "exact" thing you are except I
think my stretch of wire was 70ft. But I picking up a lot rf here and
there, pretty high noise floor on some bands. When I coupled it that
way the noise floor dropped to nothing.