Old December 28th 08, 12:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Dave[_18_] Dave[_18_] is offline

Default Best Portable for MW DX

Mike wrote:
Here's a general question I want to throw out:

Which portable receivers do you think make the best receivers for
chasing MW DX?

I'm fortunate enough to have collected a lot of portables and here are
the ones I'm currently leaning toward dedicating to MW DX:

1. Panasonic RF-2200

This one is clearly in the group and may be the best single receiver I
own for MW DX. It's only real drawback is the lack of a digital
readout, but 30 years of use has enabled me to develop a pretty good
ability to figure the exact frequency from finely-calibrated dial.

2. Redsun RP2100

I've owned this radio for about a year and continue to be impressed by
it's sensitivity and pleasing audio.

3. Sony ICF-7600GR

Small and very sensitive. The continously adjustable RF Gain makes the
GR model significantly better for MW DX than it's predecessor, the
7600G, which just had a DX-Local switch. It's small size makes it the
easiest to place on a Lazy Susan for directional reception.

4. Grundig S350

Though I have been extremely negative about this receiver (drifting,
tuning and image problems), I must admit that it's pretty impressive
when it comes to MW. I've been using it for MW DX for about the last
week and I have yet to hear an image in the MW band (they're all over
SW).

5. GE SuperRadio

Incredibly sensitive, very low noise floor and great audio.
Unfortunately, the dial is not finely calibrated and is way off. It's
hard to understand why a SR with digital readout was never made (at
least to my knowledge).

But, these five are about to be separated from my larger collection
with the purpose of dedicating them to MW DX.

My question is: Are there other radios that you folks think really
standout when it comes to MW DX?

Any comments are greatly appreciated,

Mike,
Louisville, KY