Old December 28th 08, 12:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave[_18_] Dave[_18_] is offline

Default Shortwave Radio Listener (SWL) Antennas -versus- Amateur RadioAntennas

John Smith wrote:
Dave wrote:

A random wire (e.g. inverted L) transmits nicely if you use a tuner at
the feed point.

Nicely is rather a broad term ...

And, if I am running 1KW+, or even multi-kilowatts, and the guy on the
other end is doing the same--we can communicate "nicely" on very poor
antennas ...

However, if I am running 5 watts, and the other guy is also, a properly
constructed antenna which has been designed around efficiency and most
desirable radiation pattern, along with having a correct impedance and
is matched EXACTLY to the equipment, and such is done without a lossy
"matchbox" or inefficient matching method--these would be of paramount
importance.

Physics, as much as math, is an EXACT science ... antennas are NOT in
realm of "art" (gray areas, open to interpretation, is a matter of
personal opinion, etc.), there is but one "best" antenna for any given
distance, terrain, pattern, etc.

Regards,
JS