Old December 28th 08, 02:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John Smith John Smith is offline

Default Antenna for shortwave reception

Dave wrote:

You are not "pumping" any more "power" into a non-resonant antenna.
Unless you are using a tuner you are heating up your finals.

First, your use of "resonant" is just plain confusing ...

All my multiband antennas, which I have ever use in life, are physically
resonate on but one freq (or band.) On the others, they are only
electrically resonate (and, lossy loading components are used to effect
this.)

A matchbox can always improve the reception on a poorly designed
antenna, a mismatched antenna, a non-physically resonate antenna, etc.

My 2m, 10m, 20m antennas are separate units. My 40m-80m-160 is a
multiband, my neighbors and property limitations demand this ... and of
course, a separate antenna, designed for a fairly narrow chunk of band
would always be the most logical choice ... if possible.

If I lived in an apartment and was forced to use one antenna for all
bands, it could be done ... and would be better than nothing!

Regards,
JS