Old December 28th 08, 08:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
RHF RHF is offline

Default Antenna for shortwave reception

On Dec 27, 8:44*pm, John Smith wrote:
RHF wrote:

OK then what is a 'matchbox' in :
* a poorly designed transmitting antenna,
* a mismatched transmitting antenna,
* a non-physically resonate transmitting antenna,

Consider the 'matchbox' to be one element
in the RF Energy Radiating System :
Feed-Line + 'matchbox' + Antenna Element

- - i want to know - iane ~ RHF
- - *.

- It would be far more "in the realm of correct" to
- consider what a matchbox DOES, rather than
- what it IS--as it is simply some combination
- of inductive and capacitive components which
- ALWAYS will induce some form of loss into
- any system it is inserted into.

Yeah - Once it is 'placed' in the "System" the MatchBox
becomes part of the "System" and becomes one of the
loses within the "System"

- However:
- *a matchbox will allow you to use a poorly designed/
- constructed antenna--it will NOT improve the antenna.

Now -if- That is True : Then Why Us The MatchBox
within an RF Energy Radiating System ?

- *a matchbox will allow you to "match" differing
- impedances to achieve proper power transfer to
- the antenna--again, it will NOT improve the
- efficiency of that antenna, and the power will be
- "simply lost" (as heat.)

So you are say that a MatchBox will not improve
the ERP of an RF Energy Radiating System ?
And that the Receiving Station will not hear you
'better' when the MatchBox is properly used with
the RF Energy Radiating System ?

- *a matchbox CAN allow you to alter the electrical
- length of an antenna--physical and electrical lengths
- are two different animals.

Electrical Characteristics = 'apparent electrical length'

- And, this is all-in-a-nut shell;

- as you realize, a proper education
- in this field is NOT a trivial thing.

A proper education in 'any' field is not a trivial thing.
And that education can take many forms : formal
practical, vocational {life time of work} and avocation
{life time hobby}

- That said, I frequently carry a cheap portable with me on trips and
- launch a longwire into a tree, etc., find acceptable signals and
enjoy
- listening ... or else, just grab the SW stations audio from the
net ...
- being an old-timer, the first is more enjoyable, for me.
-
- Regards,
- JS

being an old timer myself - i still find simply listening
to the radio to be enjoyable ~ RHF