Old December 28th 08, 11:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Inductance of a solid disk

On Dec 27, 1:58*pm, K7ITM wrote:
On Dec 27, 9:35*am, ve2pid wrote:

I am looking for a formula giving the inductance of a solid disk for a
known diam/material/thickness...

Any idea?

Thanks for your hels de Pierre VE2PID

What, exactly, do you mean by "the inductance of a solid disk"? *How
do you connect to the disk? *Are your connection points on opposite
ends of a diameter across the disk, or along its axis from the center
of one face to the center of the face on the opposite side -- or
perhaps some other connection? *With a wire (formed into any shape),
it's reasonable to assume it's the inductance measured between the two
ends of the wire. *For a disk, it's not obvious to me.

Cheers,
Tom

I would think if you measure the inductance from the center of one
side of the disk to the cnter of the other side of it would be like a
large number of hair pins in parallel.
I tried building a collinear antenna around this idea with the
vertical part of the antenna a solid piece of CU tubing with the disk
place at .5wl points. The problem was that the disc act as capacity
hat.

Jimmie