Old December 29th 08, 02:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John Smith John Smith is offline

Default Shortwave Radio Listener (SWL) Antennas -versus- Amateur RadioAntennas

Dave wrote:

A tuner at the antenna is a much better setup. You are doing things
right. Most HAM's don't. When Mr. Smith imagines doing this he does it
wrong.

He's right, too. My sloper is resonant but I still use a tuner to
protect the transceiver. I was going to use the Remote Autotuner but
don't need it. I get a decent match even on 160.

Actually, Telemundo is just the same old idiot, pulling the same old
tricks and attempting to appear as a guru to those possessing even less
knowledge than himself ...

I never even commented on where the placement of the matchbox would be,
and, as everyone knows, anywhere along the line you can place it. The
best place would be between the coax (feedline) and the antenna--that
is, taking for granted that the match from your rig to the feedline is
perfect.

However, no matter where you place the matchbox (including up telemundos
butt), its' losses remain constant, and, it is a net loss to the system
.... and the poor antenna remains just as poor--its' faults having been
masked.

Next end-run please?

Regards,
JS