Old November 17th 03, 07:08 PM
Jim Kelley

Cecil Moore wrote:

Jim Kelley wrote:
Seems to me it just implies that current at the end of a dipole isn't
really zero.

The net current is very close to zero because the forward and reflected
currents are very nearly equal and 180 degrees out of phase.

Is that what you meant by:

"For that general assumption to be true, the reflected current would
have
to equal the forward current on a standing-wave antenna. But we know it
doesn't"?

It's not clear whether you're making this point in recognition of the
fact that wires are not lossless, or whether you're claiming it's
somehow fundamental to the performance of a radiator.

I think it may actually make many round trips. There may be multiple
reflections.

Of course, but like a transmission line, there is only one forward wave
and one reflected wave. All the multiple reflections are contained in
those two waves.

Then apparently you've decided not to completely eschew making at least
some steady state assumptions. Seductive indeed. ;-)

73, Jim AC6XG