Old January 3rd 09, 10:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.shortwave
Richard Knoppow Richard Knoppow is offline

Default Look what I found

"Dave" wrote in message
m...
Richard Knoppow wrote:
"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 09:40:05 -0600, msg
wrote:

Dave wrote:
www.zerobeat.net/r3403c.pdf
FWIW, MCRP 6-22D is also out there (I grabbed it 18
months ago but didn't
save the URL); it is pretty much the same thing.
Michael
It's at:
http://www.armymars.net/ArmyMARS/Antennas/Resources/usmc-antenna-hb.pdf

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Thanks for posting these links.
These appear to be nearly identical. According to
the forward in R3403C it is a later edition of MCRP
6-22D. Both have an error on page 11. In the chart
showing surface conductivity the first two are reversed,
that is, sea water should be marked "excellent" and fresh
water "very good" not the other way as shown. Sea water
is considered to be as close to a "perfect" ground as
exists in nature. This error, and the fact that is was
carried over into a later edition, suggest that the book
was not proof read adequately and there may be other
errors, perhaps less obvious. I wonder if any errata were
ever published and if so if they are on line anywhere.

I too have noticed some slop and errors. No doubt
produced by cost plus civilian contractors.

FWIW, I worked for Hewlett-Packard about forty years
ago. At the time -hp- wrote all their own manuals. They
experimented with farming out a manual, I forgot for just
what instrument. It was so awful it was unusable and they
re-did it in-house. All too often business people forget
that the concomitant of "cheaper" is equal quality. The
appalling junk coming out of China should be proof enough of
this. Cheap but no bargain!
Having said that this little book is mostly pretty
good.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles
WB6KBL