Old January 4th 09, 09:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.cb,alt.radio.family,rec.radio.shortwave
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default why autopatches,ham radio, and CB radios are still good

Brenda Ann wrote:

No GSM phones here... can't remember what the protocol they use here is, but
it doesn't work anywhere else, and nobody else's phones work here. Not sure
what the law here is regarding satellite phones.

Where is here?

The OP was discussing the US, and bringing phones from outside the US, so
I focused on that.

BTW, back before we had GSM service here (Israel), the companies we had
used NAMPS and DAMPS. They both would provide you a GSM phone and a SIM
if you want to use them outside of the country.

The company I worked for had several people who traveled often, so we
rented tri band GSM phones from them and got a SIM for each of us.

Geoff.