Old November 17th 03, 08:16 PM
John Passaneau

Hi:
I like the crimp on BNC's myself but the solder kind are OK. The twist on RS
ones are probably OK in low frequency low power but I wouldn't trust them
myself. In fact, I wouldn't buy one except in desperation.
Your concerns are the same ones I have. As I can buy Amphonal crimp BNC's
for $1.85 each anywhere, I would invest $50 in a crimp tool and go that
route.

--
John Passaneau W3JXP
State College Pa

This mail is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to
be considered flaws or defects.

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Went to R/S today to pick up some BNC connectors to make a short coax

patch
wire.

Was somewhat surprised to see that they only carry, now, the "screw-on"
variety.
No more soldered ones.

Apparently you insert the stripped end of the coax into the connector, and
twist a portion of the rear
of the connector barrel which clamps the braid.
My guess is that this probably is OK for the braid, but I can't imagine

how
it connects, relaiably, to the center pin.

Looking at it in the package, it seems the coax wire just pokes into the
center pin, and that's that.
Maybe they expect gravity to make a contact.

Seems like this would make a really poor connector, but perhaps I'm too

old
fashioned in thinking that
the only good contact is a soldered one.

Am I missing anything here ?

Do they actually work ?
Work good enough for a receiver's coax run ?

Thanks,
Bob