Old January 6th 09, 04:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default 30L6GT equivalent to 50L6GT

In article ,
Bill M wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
Richard Knoppow wrote:
The 50L6 is NOT a relative of the 6L6. It is a pentode
power tube with 10 watts of plate dissipation compared to 19
watts for a 6L6. The 6L6 puts out about 2.5 times the power
when operating as a single tube Class-1A aplifier. Other
characteristics are also different.

Yeesh! That is not good at all! That is a very misleading number in
that case.

What about the 25L6 then? I have pitched a lot of 25L6 tubes
over the years because they showed low transconductance compared with a 6L6.

Personal opinion of mine...I think the * manufacturers* intended a
35/50L6 to be a DESIGN replacement for the old 6L6 as applied to AA5
50s-60s radios. Walks the same walk but its a 150 volt tube.

I pulled out the HB-3 for this and wow... it sure IS different. Only
8.5 watts dissipation, versus 14 for even the baby 6V6.

No question about it....its not very closely related if you're looking
from a conventional 6L6 perspective. 25L6 is sort of a different animal
not related to either of the two.

According to the HB-3, the 25L6 has ten watts which is a bit more than the
50L6. Mine does not have a page for the 35L6 but there is a note saying
the 35B5 is an equivalent.
--scott