Old September 5th 03, 07:10 PM
Roy Lewallen

I won't offer legal advice, but I can offer technical advice.

There's no way to make a signal stop at your property line, short of
putting a perfect shield around your property. And if you did that, you
wouldn't be bothered by your neighbor's CB anyway.

It also looks like you might misunderstand what "jamming" does and how
it works. There's no practical way to make interference go away by
"jamming". "Jamming" is a masking technique. For example, the communist
bloc nations used to jam Western broadcasts, with high-power
transmitters placed close to the intended audience, and producing
powerful noise-like signals. So all the intended audience could hear is
the noise, and not the Western broadcasts. If you build a local jammer,
you'll simply hear it instead of the CBer. That is, you'll just be
replacing the interference he causes with interference you cause. You
can accomplish the same thing by running the jamming signal modulation
into some earphones, putting them on, and turning off the radio the CBer
is interfering with.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Limitedselection wrote:
To "Caveat Lector":

Thanks for your 'help'!

Apparently you are a lawyer (or play one on usenet)?

Somehow I don't think the FCC would fine me for jamming CB reception on my own
property.
I specifically asked for a low power circuit that would only cover the area
around my house - not powerful enough to reach the neighbors.
Since I would be jamming myself I would not complain.
Since it's my property the FCC would not know I was doing it - if they drove up
to my gate it specifically says "No Trespassing - violaters will be
prosecuted".

Since the signal would not leave my property, and there would be no complaints,
and it would not interfere with anyone other than me, and to detect the jamming
signal you would have to trespass on my land (at your peril) - I assume that I
could 'get away' with it.

Again, any help (other than legal advice) would be greatly appreciated!