Old January 7th 09, 03:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob Miller Bob Miller is offline

Default Installing a Ladder Line to the house

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 13:22:19 +0000, Dave wrote:

James barrett wrote:
I've read some Q&A about ladder line and I didn't see exactly my
question. I want to run 450 ohm ladder line into the house. my tuner
has a built-in balun for a ladder line so I think I can just run the
ladder line all the way to the tuner.

How do I physically attach the ladder line to the house? All I can
think of is to nail it right through the spacers onto the side of the
house. But I don't know if the nails will interfere with transmission
at all.

A second that comes to mind when considering this setup: if I run the
ladder line all the way to the tuner, how do I ground it?

Thanks,
kb1odg

Use coaxial cable to get through the wall, then a BalUn outside to
transition to the balanced transmission line.

I've had good luck bringing 450-ohm line through the window using
MFJ's 4602 window feed through board. It has ceramic feed through
insulators for the balanced line, more feedthrough's for a random
wire, three coax lines and a ground wire. Even includes weather
stripping and a burgler bar.

Bob
k5qwg