Old January 7th 09, 10:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
k3hvg k3hvg is offline

Default 30L6GT equivalent to 50L6GT

110VDC on ships, Oh yes! Partner and I repairing radar
on one such ship, bravely plugged in our trusty Weller
soldering gun and pulled the trigger. Nothing for a few
seconds, and then a little curl of smoke. When trigger
was released, it hissed, breathing fire and sparks out of ALL
the air cooling vent slots. Throwing it on the deck and
stomping on it only aggravated the fireworks. Stone
faced Skipper calmly pulled plug from wall, and I think
he lost some admiration of our technical competence.
Old Chief Lynn, W7LTQ

Heh heh! Been there and done that. As the civilian navigator on the
USNS Keithly (a re-commissioned and converted Navy cargo ship)in the
late 60's, we had a number of newly-graduated "scientists" on board.
The scientific and comms spaces had been converted via MG's for
120/240VAC. The staterooms were still 110DC. I shared a room with one
such newby and, seeing that my Norelco shaver worked just fine, he
plugged in his early style portable record player/radio/amp. When
turned on, the requisite curl of smoke and bad odor emanated, ending the
machine's life, early. I probably would not have liked his music,
anyway. The thing is, you really had to force the plug into those DC
sockets. As I recall, they're not quite the same as standard two-blade
ac plugs.

de K3HVG