Old January 8th 09, 11:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Harold E. Johnson Harold E. Johnson is offline

Default 0.1" computer jumper crimping tool

"K7ITM" wrote in message
On Jan 7, 10:47 am, "Ross, NS7F" wrote:
Has anybody had any experience with those little cables used for
connections on computer motherboards, typically to front panel LEDs,
etc? The pins are 0.1" centered and would be extremely handy for
routing +12v around while breadboarding stuff. I think the official
name is IDT cables. However, whenever I search for them, I get the
crimpers for the massive 40 or 80-conductor cables for ATA ribbons! I
just want to make the little 2-3 conductor thingies...

Thanks for taking a look.

73 de Ross, NS7F

"IDC" perhaps? "Insulation displacement connectors." The ones that
go on ribbon cable can usually be installed using a vice, or perhaps
even a pair of pliers for a small one. The ones I tend to use because
they are available to me have loose contacts that crimp one at a time
to wires that have been stripped, and then snap into bodies. I use
them exactly as you suggest, for running power supply connections to
little boards. Both DigiKey and Mouser catalogs have large connector
sections, and I'm sure you can find appropriate ones in there.

Cheers,
Tom

And, after pinching the "tabs" on both the bared wire as well as the
insulation with a small pair of forceps for more years than I care to
remember, and being shocked at the $350 price tag for the tool for them in
Digi, I was directed to Jameco. They have

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...ctId=159266 &

(If that URL gets screwed up, it's their part number 159266. It crimps
nicely and curls the tabs around the conductor and pinches the ends into the
wire)
At $12.95, (Made you know where, but appears to be sturdy even after
considerable use), makes me want to cry that I hadn't found it earlier.

W4ZCB