Old January 8th 09, 11:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Mark Zenier Mark Zenier is offline

Default 0.1" computer jumper crimping tool

In article ,
Ross, NS7F wrote:
Has anybody had any experience with those little cables used for
connections on computer motherboards, typically to front panel LEDs,
etc? The pins are 0.1" centered and would be extremely handy for
routing +12v around while breadboarding stuff. I think the official
name is IDT cables. However, whenever I search for them, I get the
crimpers for the massive 40 or 80-conductor cables for ATA ribbons! I
just want to make the little 2-3 conductor thingies...

Thanks for taking a look.

Try Jameco. They have '.100" Non-Polarized Connector Housings and Crimp
Pins' (Page 62 in the November 2008) catalog. (Part No. 100766 for
the female terminal, to disambiguate things). This is the closest (or
the same stuff) that I've seen to that used for computer reset button
wiring and the like. The recommended crimper is cheap, too at $12.95.

Another possible is the Molex KK line, with .100" spacing.

And for premium stuff, Dupont Berg Mini-PV, but if you have
to ask, you can't afford it.

Also many outfits (Molex, Panduit) have single row .100" inch
IDC connectors that take individual wires. (Newark?)

Mark Zenier