Old January 10th 09, 11:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.cb,alt.radio.family,rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon Telamon is offline

Default These people didn't care hams help with emergency services

In article
,
radioguy wrote:

On Jan 10, 9:07*am, Joe wrote:
On Jan 10, 4:04*am, radioguy wrote: These people
didn't care that hams help provide emergency services.

They still wanted the ham tower completely gone.

I wonder who won. Click on

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...tennazoning.co...

Lets be honest here and not confuse the desire to erect and use
large antenna structures to facilitate DX'ing and other radio
pursuits with the proposition of providing 'emergency
communications'. *I would guess that 99.9% of the ham population
never has or ever will provide the types of 'emergency
communications' to which you refer in support of the erection of
large towers and antenna arrays in deference to zoning
restrictions. Even while a vast majority continually chase the holy
grail of possessing a 'Big Gun' signal on the air. *The argument
sounds great till you actually tune around the bands during normal,
every day activity and maybe once in a while during a real
emergency. What you hear is the daily 'playing' of big gun radio
operation. Excessive power, excessive bandwidth used and nothing
short of electronic bullying/boasting of my signal is bigger than
your signal. When an emergency does occur a relatively small number
of big gun stations (usually located away from the big cities on
large tracts of expensive, desirable out of the way land where
restrictions and covenants do not even come into play) handling the
brunt of the communications. And a few passersbyes who may just
listen or possibly check in to alternate 'controll the onlookers'
nets, so they can tell their buddys and the uninitiated that they
were helping out with one disaster or another before they get bored
with the whole thing and move on to the latest must have dx or
contest contact. Lets be real. *Nothing wrong with Dx'ing and
Contesting or any other facet of the hobby. *But know that these
are the real reason behind many off the cuff fan the flame posts in
support of knocking down zoning rules and not a 'real' desire to
provide an at the ready emergency communications setup. Been around
long enough to know that truth!

While you're correct, that was the excuse the ham in the article
used. At least according to the article.

I never noticed any excessive bandwidth hogging on ham radio. Unless
it's either the hi-fi ssb I heard about which the FCC was illegal
aince it was hogging the bandwidth. However, if that's so, then that
also makes using AM on ham radio illegal.

And several people still use AM mode on ham radio.

Or unless it's using FM on 2 meters and 70 centimeters where an AM
signal would take up much less space.

Why don't you guys ever bring up the technology? The original reason
the government wanted to license the public to use the spectrum was for
the general public to be able to use the communications technology that
drives the economy and provides people with useful skills for the armed
services. The government has always recognized this as a way to
encourage citizens to become familure with electronics and
communications technologies.

The complete ass-backward thinking in this country started with denying
citizens utilization of natural resources over the last couple of
decades and now is extended to the use of technology. Now we are just
supposed to be users of technology that we have to buy from other third
world countries.

This retarded natural resource thinking has now cumulated into "global
warming" BS spewed by the resource hog AL Utterly Boring Gore and Ham
operators are just good consumers these days.

We are just setting ourselves up for a fall.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California