Old November 18th 03, 12:00 AM
Cecil Moore

Jim Kelley wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
The net current is very close to zero because the forward and reflected
currents are very nearly equal and 180 degrees out of phase.

This is at the tip end of a dipole.

Is that what you meant by:

"For that general assumption to be true, the reflected current would
have
to equal the forward current on a standing-wave antenna. But we know it
doesn't"?

This is apparently not at the tip end of a dipole.

It's not clear whether you're making this point in recognition of the
fact that wires are not lossless, or whether you're claiming it's
somehow fundamental to the performance of a radiator.

Both, radiation is a "loss".

Of course, but like a transmission line, there is only one forward wave
and one reflected wave. All the multiple reflections are contained in
those two waves.

Then apparently you've decided not to completely eschew making at least
some steady state assumptions. Seductive indeed. ;-)

There are only two possible directions, forward and reverse, in which
energy can flow. Multiple reflections do not create any more directions.
I am not opposed to the steady-state solution and use it all the time. I am
opposed to people being seduced by the steady-state solution into believing
there is not such thing as forward and reflected waves even though standing
waves require forward and reflected waves.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp