Old January 13th 09, 12:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore[_2_] Cecil Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Vertical antenna for DX

Larry Gauthier (K8UT) wrote:
My verticals are at the rear of the property and farthest away
from power lines and AC service to the house. The dipoles extend into the
front yard and are more susceptible to AC line noise. Although I also
expected the verticals to be "noisier", due to locations the dipoles are a
little - but barely - noisier than the verticals.

It certainly depends upon location. At my previous QTH,
the horizontal dipole was, on the average, 2 S-units
quieter than the 40m vertical. I tracked the noise to
a 30 foot ground wire running down a power pole.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com