Old January 15th 09, 11:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jim Kelley Jim Kelley is offline

Default Contrary current flow within a radiator

Dave wrote:
Richard Fry wrote:
On Jan 14, 12:07 am, Art Unwin wrote:

It has not yet been proven that current does not flow thru
the center of a radiator.

Assuming that significant r-f current exists at the center of a
radiating conductor, where does it go when it reaches the end of that
conductor?

RF

It doesn't "go" anywhere. As the conductor (and it's return path;
ground or whatever) is resonant, the generator sees it as a resistor.
The current is "absorbed" by this "load". But instead of pure heat, an
electromagnetic field ensues.

Yes, it's like asking where does the current go in a real big capacitor.
Charge flows onto and off of the conductors, and since they're
physically large, time is required for the change in field to propagate
from one end to the other. We calculate the current flowing along
antenna elements. But we can also calculate a current flowing through
the aether based on the same principles. Perhaps knowing the magnitude
of the field traveling the element would be at least as useful as
knowing the magnitude of the current. The two are after all
inextricably liked.

Nothing goes anywhere.

Indeed. I like it. It's leads me postulate further that nothing goes
everywhere; anything goes nowhere; everything goes anywhere; anything
goes everywhere; nothing goes nowhere; or perhaps even that everything
goes nowhere.

ac6xg