Old January 18th 09, 08:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default TV 4:1 BALUN

On Jan 18, 1:19*pm, Richard Clark wrote:
On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 00:52:28 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE

wrote:
Googling TV BalUn was useless but searching fot 2M Balun proved more
useful. Per an article by K3MT they should be able to handle power in
the 5 to 10 watt range. More than enough for my purpose. I cracked
open a couple and foundd that tthe type that go *frm screw connectors
to male F connector have a larger transformer than the barrel type.
This was at least true for the couple that I sacrificed to the radio
gods.
K3MT"s data was on the barrrel or tubular type.

Jimmie

Hi Jimmie,

So, going further with this resource you found, was there any report
of how "well" it worked? *Merely surviving the application of 5 to 10
Watts isn't exactly proof of suitability for performance. *Even a SWR
report could mask the fact that a BalUn inappropriately applied is
operating as a padding resistor.

Going further yet, was it reported what style of BalUn it was?
Guanella? *Ruthroff? *Not all BalUns perform equally, and for
reception (the class of BalUn you are mining for transmission
application) it is arguable that it matters.

Lastly to your first statementGoogling TV BalUn was useless but searching fot 2M Balun proved more
useful.

The distinction was useful, but were you Googling the Web, or this
group?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

K3MT had used them in 2M project so for the time being I will let it
go at that for now. Iam concerned about the cores saturating at that
power level but I doubt if there is a lot of info on it. When I get
off the road in a couple of weeks I will try hooking a couple of them
back to back to a dummy load, putting 10 watts in and seeing what
happens.

The web.

Jimmie