Old January 19th 09, 06:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
JosephKK[_2_] JosephKK[_2_] is offline

Default Installing a Ladder Line to the house

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 08:50:33 -0500, "Ed Cregger"
wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
om...
Bob Miller wrote:

I've had good luck bringing 450-ohm line through the window using
MFJ's 4602 window feed through board. It has ceramic feed through
insulators for the balanced line, more feedthrough's for a random
wire, three coax lines and a ground wire. Even includes weather
stripping and a burgler bar.

Bob
k5qwg

That's through a window, not through a wall. I use the MFJ myself.

If I did want to use non-resonant antennas I would locate a tuner at the
antenna feedpoint, not at the generator (transmitter).

Then you would cheat yourself of a fair amount of propagation and some of
the lower and higher frequencies available with such a set up.

You're not going to keep RF out of the shack, regardless of which system you
use. You might be able to keep some of the hot spots outside, but often
times they are close enough to the station that it is really a waste of
time.

This fascination with resonance is a leftover from CB thinking. How many
warships utilize resonant antennas? Yet they communicate the world over.

Yes, and they have bevy of antenna tuners to boot. Of course, some
radars use resonant antennas.

The aversion to transmatches is a ham cultural trait that has no basis in
reality, just as the CB'ers are hooked on resonant 50 ohm antennas. It's a
characteristic of the culture(s) of both types of operators, with no basis
in practical operating engineering.

Ed, N2ECW