Old January 19th 09, 09:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Clive[_2_] Clive[_2_] is offline

Default improve S/N for AM car radio by a factor of 2...5...10?

wrote:
Hi all,

I've looked on the web, but with very little success. I have never
posted to this group before, so I apologize if my question is lame.

I listen to the Bay Area's KGO 810 MHz a lot. Their transmitter is
located in South San Fran Bay near the Dumbarton Bridge, and outpus 50
kW (that's what they say anyway). I am guessing, it's directed mostly
at the Pacific coast line. I often listen while driving east on I-80
to Truckee/Tahoe for skiing and camping. Usually the signal fades
substantially by the time I reach Sacramento - but it's still
tolerable listening (by ear, S/N of ~3). By the time I reach Auburn
it's essentially inaudible. Much better signal at night (~again, by
ear, S/N improves by ~2). At night, I can sort of pick up words in
truckee.

Question: can I *substantially* improve the S/N - say, factor of
2/5/10 by installing a better car antenna, so that, say, I could
listen in the Sierras day and night? I do not care if the antenna is
huge/geeky_looking, my car is being driven into the ground anyway. I
would be happy to make this a DIY project - to save on $ and learn
about radio. What kind of specs should I look for? I.e. I don't want
to go on the web and blindly buy an antenna advertised to "boost" your
AM radio reception - I would want some numbers.

I have limited knowledge in electronics, my background mostly is in
biophysics and biochemistry. So if you steer me into the right
direction I think I should be able figure it out.

If you have mobile Internet try this:-

http://wareseeker.com/Windows-Widget...1.2.zip/313700

HTH

Clive