Old January 20th 09, 12:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
dave dave is offline

Default improve S/N for AM car radio by a factor of 2...5...10?

wrote:
Presumably you mean 810 kHz. What is the source of the noise? Noise
generated in the receiver is usually insignificant in the medium-wave band.
If the cause is other transmissions on the same and nearby frequencies you
may not gain much by changing the antenna, but a receiver with better
channel (IF) filtering may help if there is any contribution from adjacent
channels. If the noise is coming from your car (does it improve when you
park in a rural area) then you may need to improve the RF suppression of its
circuitry (e.g. ignition if it's a petrol engined car).

I expect you can work out what tests would be needed to locate the principal
sources of the noise.

Chris

Yes, KHz, sorry.

The noise goes up several fold when I pass underneath bridges/pass big
trucks, etc. Does this suggest that the noise is from other
frequencies?

Does it do this for KKOH as well? Try 780 and see if it exhibits
similar behavior. If not, it's the KGO signal. They are pretty anemic
to the East North East.

http://www.fccinfo.com/CMDProEngine....49372&sHours=U