Old January 22nd 09, 12:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore[_2_] Cecil Moore[_2_] is offline

Default improve S/N for AM car radio by a factor of 2...5...10?

wrote:
On Jan 21, 3:11 pm, Cecil Moore wrote:
Given that a transmitting dipole and a receiving dipole
transfer maximum signal when oriented in the same plane,
how does one explain a ferrite loop antenna receiving
maximum signal in a plane orthogonal to the transmitting
dipole?

I'm not sure without looking into it, but I notice this with
both shielded, and unshielded loops.

I'm not talking about coaxial loops. I'm talking about
coils of wire wrapped around a ferrite rod typical of
AM radios. Seems pretty obvious it is responding to the
magnetic field when it needs to be at right angles to
the transmitting monopole (or dipole).
--
73, Cecil
http://www.w5dxp.com