Old January 23rd 09, 01:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] nm5k@wt.net is offline

Default improve S/N for AM car radio by a factor of 2...5...10?

On Jan 22, 6:32*am, Cecil Moore wrote:

I'm not talking about coaxial loops. I'm talking about
coils of wire wrapped around a ferrite rod typical of
AM radios. Seems pretty obvious it is responding to the
magnetic field when it needs to be at right angles to
the transmitting monopole (or dipole).
--
73, Cecil *http://www.w5dxp.com

I don't see how you could be receiving the magnetic
field if say you are 150 miles away from the station.
I looked around on the web for other opinions, and
ran across a page from W8JI.
http://www.w8ji.com/magnetic_receiving_loops.htm
I tend to agree with him.
Here is one quote that seems to fairly well explain
the position.

From W8JI web page..
"Acceleration of charges causes a very unique force
on other charges in the Universe. We call this effect
electromagnetic radiation. It is a totally different effect,
and it is independent of induction fields. This is the only
effect or force that works to move charges at a very
large distance, and it cannot be created by mixing
induction fields. "

Anyway, that's about as good an explanation as I
can find as to why I don't believe in "magnetic" antennas,
except for the properties at very close distances.
At any greater distance beyond about 1/10 wavelength,
it all goes out the window.
That's the way I see it on January 22, 2009 at 7:55 in
the PM. :/