Old January 25th 09, 11:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] nm5k@wt.net is offline

Default improve S/N for AM car radio by a factor of 2...5...10?

On Jan 25, 9:46*am, Cecil Moore wrote:
wrote:
I'd have to make another one to compare
tilting it vertical, vs horizontal.

Again, I'm not talking about any loop in air. I'm only
one example of a ferrite rod loop antenna as exists in
AM radios. Those rods are mounted horizontal within the
radio while the polarization of the transmitted signal
is vertical.

I realize that, but I guess you missed the point.
The point being, I'm not so sure it wouldn't be
responding to mostly vertical polarization no
matter how the antenna was oriented,
unless maybe it was flipped on it's side.
The rods are mounted horizontal, but are
receiving a vertical signal off the ends.
You seem to imply a difference in pattern
using a ferrite bar, vs not using one.
I'm not so sure I agree with that without
more checking.
But like I say, I'd have to rig up some test
dummies to refresh myself.
But.. as I remember from the past versions I
made, the ones I made with air cores seemed
to act exactly the same as the ones with a
ferrite bar as far as pattern. IE: both are
bi-directional off each end and both are
responding to a vertical signal.