Old January 26th 09, 02:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] nm5k@wt.net is offline

Default improve S/N for AM car radio by a factor of 2...5...10?

On Jan 25, 7:06*pm, Cecil Moore wrote:
wrote:
The rods are mounted horizontal, but are
receiving a vertical signal off the ends.

They don't receive worth a darn off the ends.
The don't receive worth a darn in a vertical
position. They are most effective when positioned
horizontal and broadside to the transmitting
antenna. One can take an AM radio, tune it to a
fringe station and run the test for oneself.
--
73, Cecil *http://www.w5dxp.com

I looked into some of those. And it does change
the pattern when you insert the rod into a coil.
I hadn't realized that. I was thinking the directional
properties stayed the same, with the rod only adding
extra inductance to tune a lower frequency.
I may have to try one of those to compare with
the other loops I use. I saw a few places that
sell large plastic coated rods for this purpose.