Old January 26th 09, 05:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Homebrew insulators

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 23:29:58 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE
wrote:

I think I will giveethe bondo a try. I have nearly a quart left over
from fixing a ding on the truck. I think it has some fibergass already
mixed in.

I mentioned Bondo only so that you could practice before switching to
epoxy resin and fiberglass reinforcing. Bondo is brittle and will
crack.

However, the polyester resin she is currently using might work with
the addition of some stiffener. Get some fiberglass matting and try
using her resin to mold an insulator. The stuff is not really
suitable for electrical or outdoor use, but might be worth testing
since you have some. Remember, the strength is in the fiberglass
matting or rod stiffeners, not in the resin.
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=75

If it doesn't work, at least you'll have the most colorful antenna
insulators in the neighborhood. Maybe imbed some LED's or neon lamps
for a Christmas tree effect.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D