Old January 27th 09, 03:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
[email protected] jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com is offline

Default CONELRAD

Bill M wrote:
Richard Knoppow wrote:

I'm afraid that 640khz _is_ the correct lower frequency.
Somewhere, buried in some archive, the developmental
documents for Conelrad may still exist and may explain the
choice of frequencies. I think mostly it was to have a
frequency that would be usable for any BC station. I also
don't remember (if I ever knew) the power stations were
supposed to use, I think quite low, perhaps a couple of
hundred watts.

640 was VERY vacant in those days and 1240 was very full. I think the
mindset was to cover both extremes but thats only a guess on my part.

Depends on where you were.

KFI in Los Angeles (actually La Mirada) has been on 640 since 1922 and
running 50 KW since 1931.

http://www.oldradio.com/archives/stations/LA/kfipix.htm

--
Jim Pennino