Old January 29th 09, 01:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
joe joe is offline

Default Antenna Replacement Experiment

JIMMIE wrote:

On Jan 29, 12:41Â*am, "Spin" wrote:
Is it feasable to remove the ferrite antenna from an am radio & replace
it with an external multi-turn box loop with the same primary/secondary
inductance?

I wouldnt say its imposssible but it certainly would be a royal pain
getting the tuning to track right. I have coupled big antennas to
loopstick radios just by wrapping a few turns of wire around the radio
and connecting it to an external antenna. I have also wound a few
turns around the loopstick and brought it out to a jack for this
purpose. At least one commercial SW rx I owned was built this way.

Jimmie

If you get the same inductances, coupling and can compensate for any
difference in stray capacitance, it should work.

Ferrite antennas are used for their small size. Older tube radios used
larger loop antennas.

Keep in mind there may be some DC voltages present on the ferrite antenna
you may not want to take outside the radio. (In other words, while you
could make the external loop work, there may be other reasons for not doing
so.)