Old February 1st 09, 07:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default Bend the whip on a magmount?

In message , JosephKK
writes
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 12:17:57 -0500, Chevy454 wrote:

I want to put my 2M 5/8-wave mag-mount on the trunk lid, which slopes
down at 20 degrees. I am concerned that most of my signal is going
into the ground or outer space.

Not that big of a deal. What is (1 - the cosine of 20 degrees)?

Can I bend the long whip so it stands vertically? Should I do it?
does the downward slope of the ground plane leave a problem
unaddressed?

Ken KC2JDY

It will probably upset the grip of the magnetic mount a bit. It will
probably give you a curved radiator. Not much effect, try it if you
like.

Indeed. At speed, a nice, whippy stainless steel whip curves a scimitar.
Very pretty! But you'd have to be approaching Mach 1 to dislodge a 7"
limpet magmount.
--
Ian