Old February 1st 09, 06:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Paul P[_2_] Paul P[_2_] is offline

Default Carbon microphone revitalization

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
Antonio Vernucci wrote:

1) I have been told that carbon microphones can be revitalized by leaving
them
in an oven for an hour or so at a temperature of about 180 F. Did anyone
try to
do that? It would be easier to put the entire microphone in the oven
rather than
just the capsule, but I am not sure on whether this could cause damages
to the
non-metallic parts

I've never heard that, but back when telepehones uses carbon mikes, it was
popular to fix them by removing the cartridge inside, and banging the
cartridge on a table top.

Geoff.

Additionally, that procedure is a legitimate and it is intended to break up
and separate the clumped up carbon particles. A frequent procedure for
outside pay phones back in the old days. You would smack the mic on the
metal plate under the phone.

Paul P.