Old February 5th 09, 04:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Spin Spin is offline

Default "Arnie Coro Antenna"

Wayne........That's interesting.....Can you elaborate on that 2 meter
antenna you had? I wonder if one were to make a longer version would it
have gain & a wider bandwidth?

"Wayne" wrote in message

"Helmut Wabnig" hwabnig@ .- --- -. dotat wrote in message
On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 16:56:30 -0800, Richard Clark
wrote:

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 22:15:09 +0000, KE5LDO
wrote:

I built this years ago as a quick antenna for receiving and
transmitting. It is name after Havana Cuba's Arnie Coro, since He came
up with it over 20 years ago.

Did Fidel put Arnie against the wall when he published how to
construct a TRANSMITTING antenna?

He should have if for no other reason than the arbitrary instructions:

1. Take a 45 ft/15 meter 52 ohm Coax, or multiples up or down.
What significance is 45 feet (or 15 meters)? Is this a magic number?

2. Dress it as center conductor and braid on both ends.
Dress right, or dress left?

3. Solder a 50 OHM resisitor on one end, connecting the center and the
braid.
Wouldn't a 50 Ohm resistor present a SWR of 1.04:1? This isn't about
efficiency, is it?

4. On the other end, solder a piece of coax. with braid to center
conductor, center conductor to braid. On the other end, solder a
PL-259, or whatever your rig accepts.. Then connect it to your
receiver/transmitter.
Shouldn't this be 4(a) and 4(b)?

For 4(a) What happened to the resistor?

For 4(b) Why the connector? Just run the existing line out to 4(a)

5. You now have a balanced, low noise antenna. I would suggest a 10
watt or hgher resistor for the amount of power you are going to use if
transmitting.

Why would you use a resistor for receiving? If it were for
transmitting, I can see why Cuba is still under domination by the
Castros.

Something must have been lost in translation - or maybe the process of
getting through the communist censors. Perhaps this was the CIA
antenna design for the Bay of Pigs.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

no no,
that is the perfect example of a dummy load with a radiating cable.

w.

-
At one time, I lived in an apartment and used a similar, shorter antenna
for 2 meter operation via a repeater. It was easy to build, and worked
fine because I didn't need much signal to hit the repeater.
--Wayne