Old February 5th 09, 08:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen Roy Lewallen is offline

Default "Arnie Coro Antenna"

Sal M. Onella wrote:

Arnie Coro's website does discuss the item described.
http://www.mail-archive.com/hard-cor.../msg18595.html
He doesn't claim it works well (nor should he).

At one point he describes burying it to stealth it. When I was moving an
antenna, I had both dipole elements laying on the ground but still
connected. Just for laughs, I tuned it up. I could hear a few other people
but nobody could hear me. I think burying an HF antenna should be followed
by a shopping trip for some writing paper and stamps. You'll need 'em.

Buried antennas were seriously investigated by the military some time
ago, and are probably still in use. While terribly inefficient, some can
radiate enough to be useful, and invisibility can be an asset. I was
told long ago that the reason NEC-4 was prohibited for export for so
long was that it could be used for designing buried and therefore
invisible antennas.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL