Old February 6th 09, 11:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Wimpie[_2_] Wimpie[_2_] is offline

Default HLP Antennas

On 4 feb, 09:27, Little_skip
wrote:
Hi everyone,

I would like some help with the HLP (Hybrid Log-Periodic) Antennas if
possible. I know nothing about antennas, yet I have a paper to write
about HLP Antennas (characteristics, calibration and so on) and I
didn't find anything about them. I found only datasheets for some of
the HLP antennas (mostly from TDK). Would it be a start to search about
log-periodic antennas and adapt the information? What would be the
difference between them?

Maybe it would sound like a stupid question to all of you, but I really
don't know where to start. Can someone give me a bit of help?

Thank you.

--
Little_skip

Hello,

I don't know your background and to what depth the article should go,
but I assume that you have a background in Electronic Engineering.

It is good to know some properties and design trade offs for the
normal LP antenna (this requires basic knowledge on antennas). There
are several design parameters that sets maximum and minimum frequency
range and gain.

The "Hybrid" part relates to a merge between a flat dipole and the LP.
At the low end of the useful frequency range of the HLP, the antenna
radiation pattern behaves like a dipole antenna.

Simulation is a good way to "see" the effect of various LP designs.

The second challenge for you will be the calibration (I assume gain
calibration). Calibrating for gain does not only involve antennas, but
also EM wave propagation, transmission lines and a certain attitude
towards the measuring results. Also here, simulation is a good way to
"see" the effect of (small) changes in your test setup for
calibration.

You might consider hiring an expert to set you on the right track. It
may save you lots of time.

Best regards,

Wim
PA3DJS