Old February 10th 09, 04:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jerry[_5_] Jerry[_5_] is offline

Default Velocity Factor of Coax

"Howard Kowall" wrote in message
hello all
thanks all who read and emailed back
lot of good info came in and I have a good handle on it
I am building this antenna for rhcp portable satellite antenna for LEO
Ham Radio Sat
thanks again
Howard

"Howard Kowall" wrote in message
Hello all
What determines the Velocity Factor of a coax cable.
Is it the center conductor awg,dielectric,shield or all combined
I am building a
Lindenblad Antenna for 2 Meters

its asked to use

RG-59 polyethylene foam coax with stranded center conductor

I think the VF is .66

I cant find any stranded center cond where I am,so I want to try it with
Solid,but it seems all the solid is VF .88

anyone have any input on this

thanx

howard

Hi Howard

The Lindenblad has an overhead null that you might find anoying for some
high elevation passes of LEOs.
Are you open to trying to build a DCA (which is an antenna that I
developed)? I make the claim that there is no other hemispheric coverage
antenna design that performs better than a DCA. But, I sure am open to
being corrected.
The Feb 2008 QST contains an article on the DCA antenna design concept.
It is my claim that a DCA is extreemely forgiving of construction errors
and uses 4 wire dipoles and 50 ohm coax with 5 RFI type ferrites as
"baluns'.

Jerry KD6JDJ