Old September 11th 03, 01:40 PM
Ian White, G3SEK

Roy Lewallen wrote:
With about 40 dB deficiency in MDS, you should be looking for something
that's broken, not just out of alignment.

The worst thing you can ever do is start to re-align something that's
actually broken. It won't make anything better, and can easily make
things worse.

Electronic equipment is quite unlikely to wander so far out of alignment
that it completely stops working. So if does stop (and -40dB pretty much
qualifies as "stopped") you know that something has broken.

In that case you need to look for it, find it, and then either fix it or
change it. There is no other way.

There are many different ways to find a faulty component - but *none* of
them begins with: "Before I do anything else, I'm going to twiddle every
adjustment in sight."

Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek