Old February 11th 09, 09:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
JB[_3_] JB[_3_] is offline

Default Velocity Factor of Coax

"Michael Coslo" wrote in message
JB wrote:

I don't know if you have seen CATV hardline with a tank strapped to the
utility pole. That keeps water out by pressurizing the hardline. CATV
systems DO have problems with corrosion all the time. With all that

cable
though, the cost to get it up and running is enormous, and they would

rather
be complaint driven instead. They also use circulators so that the

stuff
people do in their house doesn't feed back into the system and screw all

the
other customers up.

Ever open up a cable amp that has had leaky (water type leaky) coax
dripping into it? Yikes, they usually keep working for a while, with all
kinds of electrolyzing going on. It's a pretty sad sight.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

I've seen boxes of them. I wish I had pictures of the Micor mobile that was
parked in a supervisors car in the middle of a river for 3 days. The
battery went dead making green slime. The only money they had in the budget
was for repair, so we bid them to replace every board. The Mastr Exec had a
Relay and worked fine after drying it out. Things like that are hard to
explain.