Old February 12th 09, 09:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
JB[_3_] JB[_3_] is offline

Default Velocity Factor of Coax

All metallic contacts are potential problems. For years I did Navy
electronics, including a couple hundred EMI inspections. Where "topside
housekeeping" was neglected, broadband noise (BBN) was sure to be a

problem.
(All topside metallic objects need to be either insulated or firmly
connected -- no incidental contact.)

As little as a hundred watts would excite some junctions to generate BBN
that could be detected throughout the HF band on other antennas. More

power
would generate BBN up to several hundred MHz. Been there.

Great point!
My worst problem was my TV antenna mast, 20' away from my Butternut.
Actually generated TVI until I replaced it all, including all brackets and
hardware. Most of my neighbors TV antenna systems look far worse for wear.
I have offered free labor to replace for surrounding neighbors and was taken
up on it by one who had never seen so many stations before. It seems to be
something that people don't do right anymore because no one will pay for it.